We took another look at the leak prepping to buy the parts to fix it and discovered
a.it wasn't where we thought it was coming from, but dripping down from a bigger pipe above,
b. the leak was getting worse, and
c. the bucket under it overnight wasn't big enough (even with the water off, it continued to drip, do not ask me why).
We called out a plumber who was great but sadly charged us a whopping $130 extra, bringing the bill to $450 because the pipe was in a hard to reach area. It's an unfinished basement and the pipe was in the ceiling, totally open, but I guess there were other pipes around it. I can cover the area repaired with my hand.
In happier news, we found a piece of wood for the outdoor bar top and I am varnishing it now. Will post pix when all is done.
And since this is a watery post, here's a photo of the toad who was outside the garage in the rain on Saturday while we built the bar framework. He lives under the steps by the side door.( toad )